-
November 18th, 2005, 11:21 PM
#1
Inactive Member
BTW, I wanted to mention that I live in an area where there are plenty of non-Jews and Jews of all denominations, from Hasidic(ultra-orthodox), to Modern Orthodox, to Conservative, Reconstructionist and Reform.
I had to think about it a little bit and I decided to make Rebekah modern Orthodox, not Hasidic. Hasidic Jewish children are encouraged not to be exposed to secular culture(TV, Movies, music, etc.) where Modern Orthodox live by the strict laws but can live in a secular society. I am a reform Jew and go to a reform Temple.
I've seen Orthodox girls walking around shopping centers, grocery stores, parks, etc with other girls their own age or with their families. I've also visited websites of Orthodox Jewish day schools where I learned about the strict rules in their student handbooks.
I've also been to many Hillel events(Hillel is a national Jewish organization for college students) including an all-weekend overnight event that went through Shabbat. These are commonly attended by Reform, Conservative and Orthodox young men and women. There is also a well-known magazine called the JUF that Jews of all denominations receive in the Chicago metro area. I am by no means an expert but just picked up what I've observed and what little I know about Judaism in general.
I don't plan on ever becoming Orthodox but I am still fascinated by the culture, especially of how children and young adults live their daily lives.
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ November 18, 2005 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Katie from IL ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks